We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to accept these cookies. You can change your cookies settings at any time.

NHS inform banner

Find health advice

NHS inform – for everyday questions about health

Finding the right health and care information can make a real difference to how people manage their wellbeing. Making information accessible, quality assured and up to date helps people to make positive choices.

NHS inform is Scotland's dedicated resource offering up-to-date facts on health, services and campaigns. It also has a wealth of information available online, over the telephone or via webchat:

  • tests and treatments
  • illnesses and conditions
  • injuries
  • healthy living (including stopping smoking, screening and keeping active)
  • care, support and health rights

One of the many features of the website is that people can personalise the information that's relevant to them using the 'Info for Me' tool. People can also interact and find out about specific conditions in community forums using the 'Health Unlocked' facility.

Of course, there is always the option to talk to the health information team by telephone or using webchat.

To use the service visit www.nhsinform.scot or call 0800 22 44 88.

Medical emergency and immediate advice

In a medical emergency for suspected stroke, heart attack, serious illness or injury phone 999.

999 and Accident and Emergency should only be used for serious illness or injuries. This means that essential treatment is given to those who need it as quickly as possible.

For immediate advice (when GP surgery or dental practice is closed) phone NHS 24 on 111.

You will be put through to a health professional who will talk to you about your symptoms. They may arrange for you to see a GP or dentist if necessary. You can also visit the NHS 24 website.

If you have a minor injury, such as a cut that needs stitches, broken bone, sprain or minor burn, then phone NHS 24 on 111 and ask for the Minor Injuries Unit service. NHS will give you advice on what to do next. This may include a video or telephone consultation or a face-to-face appointment at an NHS Minor Injury Unit.

Back to top