The Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 provides ways to support and protect any adult at risk of harm, as defined by the Act. Adult Support and Protection is everyone’s business – if you see something that doesn't look right, say something. An Adult Support and Protection referral can play a vital role in keeping an adult safe. The Adult Protection website provides information on what harm is, who is at risk and how to report concerns.
Who does the Act say is an 'adult at risk' of harm?
An 'adult at risk' of harm is defined as a person aged 16 or over who may be unable to safeguard their wellbeing, property, rights or other interests and is more vulnerable to being harmed because they are affected by:
- mental disorder
- illness or
- physical or mental infirmity
Act against harm
Some adults are at risk of harm. This could be due to the behaviour of another person, deliberately taking advantage of them. It could also be that the adult is placing themselves at risk, either intentionally or unintentionally, due to lack of support. Harm can take many forms including:
- physical harm
- financial harm
- psychological harm
- sexual harm
This is not an exhaustive list.
If immediate help is required in an emergency situation, then call 999.
If you think that you or someone you know is being harmed, abused or experiencing neglect, it is important to tell someone. Everyone has a right to be safe. Please share your concerns as this could make a crucial difference.
You can contact us via the Social Care Direct team:
- phone 0141 287 0555
- out of hours phone 0300 343 1505
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- visit the Adult Protection website
Other relevant legislation:
- Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007
- Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000
- Anti Social Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004
- Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002
- Domestic Abuse (Scotland) Act 2011
- Forced Marriage etc. (Protection and Jurisdiction) (Scotland) Act 2011
- Health (Tobacco, Nicotine etc. and Care) (Scotland) Act 2016
- Human Rights Act 1998
- Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Scotland) Act 2015
- Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003
- Offences (Aggravation by Prejudice) (Scotland) Act 2009
- Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007
- Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968