Information For Young Carers
Who is a Young Carer?
A Young Carer is a person under the age of 18 who looks after or helps look after someone who has; a disability, an illness, a mental health problem and/or an addiction.
A Young Carer may be doing some or all of the following;
- Extra housework, cooking and shopping
- Helping the cared-for-person to wash or dress
- Taking care of family finances
- Helping a family member with their medication
- Providing emotional support
Looking after someone can feel good, but sometimes it can also be difficult and might mean:
- You are late for school or have to take days off school?
- It’s hard to meet homework deadlines or study?
- You have less time to socialise or make friends?
- You might feel worried or anxious?
- You might feel tired or frustrated?
Not sure what some of the words and phrases mean? Have a look at the Young Carer Jargon Buster.
How can I get help?
If you look after someone and you feel worried or want someone to talk to, your pupil support team, school nurse, youth worker or a friend or adult that you trust.
There is also a Young Carers’ Team in your local area who are on hand to help you with:
- 1:1 support from a Young Carers Worker
- General information and advice
- Illness specific training, you may want to know more about a family members illness
- Getting extra help for the person you look after
- Short breaks (explain in a way that young people will understand (add some examples)
- Completing a Young Carers Statement (if needed) do we need to say that they should be offered one in law?
A ‘Young Carer Statement’ is part of The Carers (Scotland) Act 2016. It forms a plan for you, to help you achieve your own personal goals. The services offered are based on supporting young carers through a family based approach to tackle the underlying causes of inappropriate caring roles, delivering and accessing supports that meet the needs of the whole family.
- Find out where your local Young Carers’ Teams in Glasgow are based https://www.yoursupportglasgow.org/glasgow-homepage/pages/are-you-an-unpaid-carer/content/services-available/
- If you have any questions or would like to find out more information you can also call the Carers Information Line - 0141 353 6504
- Complete the online Carers Form. You can complete this yourself or someone can complete it on your behalf. https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/carers
Useful Additional Information
Young Carers qualify for can sign up to the Young Carers Package through Young Scot. For more information about the package and how to sign up please visit the following link - https://young.scot/campaigns/national/young-carers
Follow @youngscot on Twitter
Did you know that Young Carers aged 16-18 who care for someone an average of 16 hours per week may qualify for the Young Carers Grant. This is a yearly payment of £305.10 for young carers in Scotland. For more information please visit https://www.mygov.scot/young-carer-grant/about-the-grant/
Follow us on Twitter:
- Glasgow North East Carers Centre @gnecarerscentre
- Glasgow South East Carers Centre @dixon_east
- Glasgow South West Carers Centre @GAMH1977
- Glasgow West Carers Centre @GAMH1977