If someone dies as a result of a violent crime

It can be particularly difficult and traumatising to lose someone as a result of a violent crime. You will likely come in to contact with different services such as the police, the procurator fiscal and the justice system. The police service will talk you through what will happen.

You will be contacted by a Family Liaison Officer (a specially trained police officer) who will:

  • keep you updated throughout the investigation
  • help you with any immediate tasks such as identifying the body
  • with your consent, help you access support organisations
  • provide you with advice and guidance on the criminal justice process

An information pack, providing information and guidance for families and friends of someone who has died as a result of murder or culpable homicide is available.

Support services

People Experiencing Trauma and Loss (PETAL):

Victim Support Services:

list of other support services, including contact details, is also available.