Voluntary including befriending
Work is an important aspect of life which can help you to reach your full potential and improve your quality of life. There are a number of different types of jobs and employment opportunities available throughout Glasgow for people of any age and ability. Some people may find looking for a job daunting or difficult; however there are a number of support networks which can help you with this process:
- Agencies who canassist people with a learning disability prepare for workor provide voluntary placements
- Glasgow Supported Employment Service is specifically designed to help people with learning disabilities to find employment. The service has coaches who will meet with you and help you to gain work experience by supporting you through application processes after discussing with you what kind of work you are interested in and would like to do. This service is available to people aged over 16 years who live in Glasgow
- My World of Work websiteprovides information about education, developing your career and what to do if you are facing redundancy.You can also searchcurrent vacancies.
- Jobs and Business Glasgow works along with people to help them to improve their skills and find employment. Their aim is to improve regeneration within the city by helping to meet the recruitment needs of different businesses and by helping people to become more employable.
What Befrienders do
Below are some example of how a befriender could help you
- Offer regular contact through visits or phone calls
- Offer emotional support and a listening ear
- Assist you with reading or writing
- Go out with you for a cup of tea or coffee
- Share hobbies and interests with you
- Accompany you to clubs or appointments
How it works
A Befriending Co-ordinator will match you with a Befriender by:
- Will discuss your needs and interests
- Identifying a suitable Befriender
- Making introductions
- Keeping in touch with both you and the Befriender regularly
The Befriending Networks can help you find a service in your area.