Sensory Services

image of person wearing hearing aid

People with a sensory impairment (deaf, deafblind or hearing impaired or blind / visually impaired) may require specific support services to help them live independently.

There are a number of organisation who provide also a range of sensory activities.

Glasgow City Council offers a Sign Language Interpreter Service which provides Sign interpreting and translation as well as training and communication skills assessments.

British Sign Language NHS Inform Videos

Information about immunisation, screening and other health topics in British Sign Language (BSL) is available on NHS Inform.  To view this information visit

British Sign Language Flu Vaccination Videos   

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde and six local Health & Social Care Partnerships (HSCPs) are piloting the delivery of the flu vaccination programme for 2-5 year-old children at local community immunisation clinics which children already attend for routine childhood immunisations.  Children from 42 GP practices are being invited to attend for their flu vaccination at one of 10 local community immunisation clinics across the NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde region, rather than receiving the vaccine from their own GP practice staff.

Parents/carers will receive a local appointment invitation letter 2-3 weeks prior to their appointment.
Clinics will start the week beginning 7 October 2019. Overall, around 6,000 children will be eligible through this pilot. GP practices not involved in the pilot remain responsible for delivering flu vaccination to 2-5 year olds this year.

National flu vaccination invitation letters are being sent to all adults aged 65 or over (by 31 March 2020) as well as to parents/carers of all children aged 2-5 (as of 1 September 2019).  This year, these letters include a Quick Response (QR) code which links directly to British Sign Language (BSL) videos explaining why it's important to get the flu vaccine. It also provides a short web address alongside the QR code. To watch immunisation videos in BSL, visit

COVID-19 Update to Hearing Aid Battery Collection

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, changes have been made to the collection of hearing aid batteries.

Please visit the Scottish Library and Information website for information on how to collect hearing aid batteries.