Frequently Asked Questions

I live in the Glasgow City Council area - how do I get the service(s) you provide?

If you need help and support at home, please contact your local Glasgow City Council Social Work Services to request an assessment of your needs. You can contact the team directly or a relative, friend or doctor can contact them on your behalf. Staff from Social Work Services will advise you of the criteria for care at home services and any cost implications - certain services may be subject to a charge based on your income.

Prior to their return home, hospital in-patients can request an assessment by speaking to a member of the ward staff who will contact Social Work Services.

Upon assessment, you will be advised of the services available to be provided to you by Cordia.

Who will provide my service?

Your service will be provided by Cordia’s home care staff. There may be occasions when staff will be provided by our fully approved independent partner companies. These companies are also registered with the Care Inspectorate. All staff visiting you have also undergone reference checks and have been vetted through Disclosure Scotland.

If you have a service which includes more than one or two visits per day over a seven day period, you will receive a service from more than one home carer or one home care team. This is because our employees work various shifts to cover our twenty four hour service.

Your care plan may also include other services such as meals at home or community alarms.

What happens when my home carer cannot come?

if your home carer is on holiday or is not at work for any other reason, another home carer will call on you. Whenever possible we will arrange for a home carer who knows you to attend. Your home care co-ordinator will let you know of any changes to your home carer.

On public holidays there may be a variation in your service, however, your home care co-ordinator or home carer will let you know of any change to the normal arrangements.

What tasks will the home carer carry out?

Home carers provide a range of personal care tasks that can include:

• Assisting you to get in / out of bed
• Assisting you to wash / dress
• Assisting you to eat / drink
• Assisting you to / from the lavatory
• Reminding you to take your medication
• Preparing meals etc

They can also carry out a range of practical tasks that can include:

• Shopping
• Collecting pensions / benefits
• Housework etc

What tasks can a home carer not carry out?

There are a few tasks that your home carer can’t do. These may include tasks which are the responsibility of someone else for example a community nurse, or tasks which could expose your home carer or yourself to risk or danger and which are governed by health and safety legislation.

What about my safety and the home carer's safety when they are in my home?

Health and safety legislation exists to prevent the risk of injury to an individual. Your home carer must ensure that both you and they are safe. To do this they do this in several ways including:

• Reducing the risk of infection by following universal infection control procedures
• Reducing the risk of injury by using any equipment, for example a hoist, which has been assessed as being required
• By not smoking in your home and by requesting that you do not smoke while the carer is in your home
• By working safely and identifying potential hazards, for example, your home carer will not climb on furniture to reach high surfaces or use electrical equipment which appears faulty or is damaged (it is your responsibility to have suitable and reliable cleaning equipment and materials available)

What about the help I receive from family and friends?

Your care plan can be arranged to complement any assistance you already receive from family and friends. This will be discussed with you when developing your care plan.

What about the home care staff handling my money?

If it has been agreed as part of your care plan, your home carers can carry out certain financial transactions for you. These may include:

• Collecting your pension or benefits (home carers are not permitted to use your PIN number for your pension / bank accounts)
• Paying bills
• Shopping

You will be provided with payment counterfoils (where appropriate) for bills and till receipts for shopping for every transaction carried out on your behalf.

Your home carers are not permitted to hold any of your money in their own home overnight or enter into any financial arrangement with you other than any specified in your care plan.

Can my home care tasks and hours be changed?

If you feel the current care plan does not meet your needs, you can request a temporary or permanent change at any time by contacting Social Work Services or Cordia. Your home care co-ordinator can also relay the request on your behalf. Social Work Services and Cordia managers will also arrange to meet with you once a year to review your care needs.

What happens if someone joins or leaves my household?

This may affect the services you receive. You should contact Social Work Services or Cordia to let us know if this happens. Your home care co-ordinator can also relay this information on your behalf.

What happens if I am away from home?

Your home carers have procedures to follow if they call at your home and cannot gain entry – they also worry about you. Therefore it is helpful if you can let your home carer know in advance if you are going to be away from home and when you expect to return. Alternatively you can advise the duty officer at Cordia. Contact details are in the Home Care Diary.

Do i have to pay the home care staff?

No. Your home carers should never be paid by you. Glasgow City Council will issue you with an account if your financial assessment indicates that there is to be a charge for the services you receive.

Cordia (Services) LLP’s Code of Conduct does not permit home care staff to accept gifts or gratuities of any kind. Your carers should never witness, act as an executor or benefit in any way from your will.

Can I have someone with me when meeting with Social Work Services and Cordia staff?

Yes, at any meeting between you and staff from Cordia or Glasgow City Council, you are welcome to have a friend, relative or someone else come along with you to help you present your views. You may also wish to seek support from an advocacy service.

An advocacy service provides you with someone who is independent of the service you are dealing with and will assist you in making informed choices.